Generation C and the principle of YES, AND

Collaborative online experiences have been a part of our world for a while, but they are being refined and used by more and more people to share information, work together on projects, and bring improvement to long standing systems and processes. In Dr. Axel Brun's journal, "The Future Is User-Led: The Path towards Widespread Produsage" (https://eprints.qut.edu.au/12902/1/12902.pdf), he calls the participants of produsage 'Generation C'.  This entire journal was extremely enlightening on the development and sustainability of these types of online groups. Brun describes Generation C users as learners, consumers, and content creators.  

This ability and desire to blend content and creativity reminds me of a concept that was employed often in the dance-theater company (Open Dance Project) I was a part of before having kids and deciding on a career change. It's called "YES, AND". If you haven't heard of it, it's a very common practice among improv artists, and a wonderful tool for anyone wishing to collaborate with others in any field. Basically, no matter what anyone brings to the space, you say yes and go with their idea and then you say AND I'm going to add this! Obviously when you're creating a fully realized/finished product, cuts happen and things have to be refined, but when we're talking about these online communities where the "product" is forever changing and being added to, I think this is a pretty good parallel. 

Moving on to Dr. Brun's description of how educational institutions should be preparing students to participate in produsage communities online, I see another huge parallel. He breaks it down into 4 sections - creative, collaborative, critical, and communicative... this is exactly how a collaborative ensemble of artists work together to create art! I am just geeking out over here that we get to all put on an artist's brain to take part in this world of produsage! Generation C is a bunch of artists (whether they think of themselves this way or not) working together to build these online communities and platforms. I love it! I can't wait to use all of the skills from my past life as I explore and dive into this new world. 


If you are interested in checking out Open Dance Project and what they're all about, visit opendanceproject.org :) I just finished building their new website this past week and I'm pretty proud of it, so I'd love your feedback. They also have a virtual show going on this weekend, so if you don't have any plans be sure to look them up.. you can watch anytime between now and May 31! 

Comments

  1. Thanks! I looked at your link. I think I will show it to my daughters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby! Thank you this great post! I think the design of the website for Open Dance Project was very well done - Neat, Fresh and definitely captures the attention!

    I myself have had pretty mixed feelings towards collaborative works though! I think it is all down to how invested the community is in ensuring the quality of the end product. For example, in the education sector, having "free riders" or worse "Hijackers" within the community could ensure that the quality of the product is compromised and not benefitting anyone in the end! I would liek to know more on your thoughts about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abby! I love the website! So clean, crisp, and easy to navigate. I will pass this on to my 4 yo granddaughter who is a dancer. She will enjoy watching this online. Lots of work went into this and you should be proud of it!

    I too have concerns about collaborating. Given a group assignment, some of us groan anticipating the 20-80 rule. There can be so many people involved in an online training program that one weak link can jeopardize the quality of the initial intent of the developer early on. I know that it is important, but how would you motivate them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is to both Kelvyn and That Will Show Them-

      First, thank you for checking out the website! It was a first for me to build a website and have full reign over such a large scale project.

      I do understand the hesitancy towards collaborative work.. I've also been a part of terrible group projects where I have ended up with most or all of the work or my teammates present poorly for the final product.

      I think when it comes to collaboration in the work environment, there needs to be passion from all people and there needs to be a leader that is able to make a final judgement call on things and that each person has to answer to throughout the process. Maybe we could think about the process in stages (as Instructional Design uses the ADDIE model..this is my first semester so I don't know much about it yet), but lets say the collaboration happens mainly during the design stage and then in development/implementation one person takes the lead to be sure the project is streamlined and cohesive and no one is slacking on their individual contribution. What do ya'll think about that as a way to include collaboration, but make sure that everyone is carrying their weight and the project all comes together as one piece?

      I also think when talking about 'Generation C' though, it's referring more to collaborative online communities like Wikipedia, where people can contribute and collaborate as much as they would like, or just be a user. A couple years ago I stumbled upon a really neat community created by Joseph Gordon Levitt called 'Hit Record' that makes a space for artists to collaborate voluntarily on all sorts of multimedia projects. It seems to be based on a similar type of platform for people to be "produsers"..maybe I'll write an upcoming blog about it!

      Delete
  4. Yes and... is a great tool! I was fortunate to participate in an all day improv in business seminar with Second City and yes and was a big piece of it. I try to ensure that my team members understand this concept before going into any kind of brainstorming sessions to keep the people who are insta-no's in check :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that sounds like a blast to get to do a seminar with Second City!! It can definitely be hard to have some insta-no's in the group.. I think that is the biggest downside to a collaborative environment! What do you do to make sure everyone stays on the 'yes and' train?

      Delete
    2. Luckily for me I have been with my company for a long time and know everyone very well so I get a bit of leeway for my sarcastic scolding lol I set the stage for the brainstorming session by going into the yes and philosophy and let them know ahead of time that I will interject if anyone goes off track from that and then I do.. People learn pretty quickly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miro Concept Map

Education and Policy around Digital Citizenship

Final week + life update