insta-journey

 I've been on instagram for about 10 years. WOW. I didn't even realize it had been a platform that long.

Anyway, so I just spent some time scrolling through my own instagram account, and it's been something of a journey for me. It is SO fascinating to see the transformation that has occurred and I'm curious if twitter will end up being similar too when I come back and look at it one day. 

My journey began on instagram with zero purpose. My very first picture was of a milkshake that I was drinking and the cup says "find happiness within", my second picture is of a dvd of Doctor Who Season 6 pt. 1 that I downloaded off of my brothers laptop and decorated in the theme. Any Doctor Who fans out there? This was one of my favorite seasons, Matt Smith, bowties, Amy and Rory <3 








Looking a little bit further you can just see the randomness in which I posted - people, food, environment, etc. I just posted whatever struck my fancy that day.. and there isn't anything wrong with posting like this, but it's clearly just a personal log of life that is happening. Sometimes I would remember to make a post, sometimes I wouldn't, instagram wasn't the end all be all place for sharing important things. Pictures of lattes didn't ever go away, I can always appreciate a well done latte! But now, you would probably see it in my stories instead of on my feed. As with most of these kinds of posts..the day to day lives in the stories on instagram. 








 A little bit later in my feed, I used instagram to blog my travels through Europe. It was a wonderful way to share with my family that I was safe, show them what I was getting to see everyday, and keep a record of my favorite moments. Even now looking back, I am just reminded of how wonderful an opportunity it was to spend 8 weeks abroad, first at the Irish Aerial Dance Festival in Letterkenny, Ireland, then through Paris, a stop in Germany, a few stops in Austria, and ending with three weeks at Dance Italia in Lucca, Italy. 






Then I can see that I graduated college, got married, got a dog, went skydiving, had so many great times with friends, and moved forward in my career as a professional dancer/aerialist. In this stage of my insta-journey my posts were a tiny bit more curated to be a showcase of the best moments or the celebration of someone for their birthday. This really shows me the beginning of only seeing the good stuff online and the rise of social media comparison.  













The next bit is me trying/not really trying to become something instafamous by posting videos of me doing aerial. Trying to figure out what my place is on this platform and if there is any monetary value that I can build by being active in this community... more on this later in another blog post. But then, we decided it was time to have a baby and EVERYTHING changed.  I became that mom that only posts pictures of their baby. Of course, only the beautiful moments, because no one is supposed to share the hard moments. (more on THIS in another post too!) 










Now, I do aerial regularly, have two kids, and I'm kind of back to posting what I want when I want, but it's mostly my beautiful kids and the things around me that inspire me. I spend a lot more time in instagram stories, and I actually look at stories much more than the actual instagram feed these days. This is me and my little one, Everest, today at the end of a group zoom call for my other ISLT class. 













I'm not sure why I decided to post about this today, but I've got a lot of experience with instagram and I am intrigued in what other people have experienced on their insta-journey. Are you surprised by what you used to post? Have you been consistent the entire time? Do you want to know anything else about the platform? I'd love to help! 

Comments

  1. Hi Bobbi,
    Thanks for your post! Wow, 10 years is a long time to devote to a social media platform like Instagram. I’m looking forward to following your journey throughout this semester, and beyond. I’ve never dabbled in Instagram myself, but am curious about it. (Total side note – fellow Whovian here – love me some Matt Smith as the Doctor, and I miss Amy and Rory terribly!). I’ve had a Facebook account that I maintained mainly throughout college to keep in contact with some close friends, but I can see the merits of Instagram as well, with more bite-sized snapshots and pictures of things and short stories that can be made. Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren!
      Thanks for the comment. Yes, it has been a long journey and honestly a surprise that it has been so long. But, here we are! Instagram is pretty cool, it's fun to be able to just post a picture and then look back on a visual timeline of your life. I know Facebook can kind of be a similar thing depending on how you use it. I'll have to come check out your blog as well! :)

      (LOVE finding fellow Whovians btw!)

      Delete
  2. Hi Bobbi, that was like a trip down memory lane! I have been using Instagram for about 4 years and I mainly use it to document important milestones and memories. Do you happen to know why do people post insta-stories when the stories would just disappear 24 hours later? I mean if I post something, I would want to make sure that I can revisit them anytime I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon!

      It was totally a trip down memory lane... kind of fun to see how far I've come and laugh at myself a little bit. ;)

      So, insta-stories are cool (in my opinion), because they show the more real, everyday life stuff that you don't always get to see on the regular feed. They are easier to interact with - you can create polls, ask people questions, respond with a direct message, add music, etc. Sometimes I'll take a picture or video directly in my stories, and if I like it enough I will save it to my phone before posting it. You can also archive your stories on your page and keep them there forever as highlights, so if you get on insta and go to someone's page there are little circles right below the profile and above the feed. Those images are pulled from your stories. So, even though they disappear from the public eye, instagram has them saved somewhere for you to be able to access and repost as a highlight later down the road if you want to.

      I hope that was helpful info! If you ever need a hand figuring something out on Instagram, let me know :) I'd be glad to help.

      Also, I am Abby, not Bobbi. I know our names are right next to each other on the class blog page so no worries!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miro Concept Map

Education and Policy around Digital Citizenship

Final week + life update