Marco Polo

Hello EME6414 friends! 

Today I want to dive into an app I really like called Marco Polo and talk about why I think it might be useful in adult learning communities and how people are already using it for individual coaching!

So what is it? Marco Polo is an app that allows you to send video messages to your friends (or co-workers or clients) on your own time and then they can respond on their own time. Unlike Snapchat, the videos can be as long as you want and they remain archived on the cloud, so you can always go back and listen again. You can also set up a group chat where every person sees every video that is shared, instead of just sending it out and getting individual messages back. (This was one of my issues with Snapchat when I used to use it, I'm not sure if it has changed now). 

I have used Marco Polo throughout the last year starting at the beginning of the pandemic to keep up with friends near and far in the time when we couldn't really be face to face. I loved that I didn't have to plan a specific time to zoom or facetime with someone, we could just jump on and respond to the last thing that was shared! Much like texting, but with smiling faces and a much longer form if desired. My friends and I would usually end up making our videos to each other while taking a walk or watching our kids play. It was a super easy way to share and connect. 

One of my good friends is a nutrition coach and she uses this platform to connect with her clients. She has found that it is much easier to hear what is going on with them and have the ability to re-listen and take notes and then send a succinct response. I think it allows her to be able to work with more people than if she had to schedule a phone call for every single conversation. (I know she does still have zoom calls and phone calls in addition to using Marco Polo, but it is such a great supplement to connect in between the bigger meetings). 

I could see this app being a great way for us as students to have a casual connection where we can talk about the subject matter we are reading, ask each other questions, or just have an opportunity to connect and be friends outside of class! 

If you listened to the Voicethread this week, Dr. Dennen and I commented about this and the only real downside is that you have to share your personal phone number to be connected on the app. This doesn't really bother me in the context of connecting with classmates, but I would definitely understand if it made anyone uncomfortable. With that said, would anyone be interested in joining me for a group chat on Marco Polo to be able to check it out and see what the app is like? 

If you are interested, email me at adf21@my.fsu.edu and we can get the ball rolling on setting this up! 

Comments

  1. Hi Abby! This is a great app, and what a great suggestion! I believe this app has been around for sometime, and it was something I used a few years ago. I forgot all about it. It's such a fun way for people to connect both personally and professionally. I had never thought to use it on a professional level, but it makes absolute sense. And, like it you mention, it's a great way to supplement between calls or meets. I'd be happy to join you for a chat! I'll shoot you an email :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool app, Abby! I look forward to playing with it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miro Concept Map

Education and Policy around Digital Citizenship

Final week + life update