Classroom Tools.. and imposter syndrome.

I'm going to be completely honest.. having not spent any time as a formal classroom teacher, the tools this week were a little bit harder for me to get into and I didn't feel like I had much to add to the conversations about using tools in the classroom. This was definitely one of those weeks where imposter syndrome started to creep in... If you don't know what imposter syndrome is, it's "a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their skills, talents, or accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a 'fraud'", according to Wikipedia. It's not a new feeling, but it can be a challenging one to overcome when it seems like everyone knows what they're talking about and you have little experience in the subject matter! Before this, I was a professional dancer/aerialist doing some freelance graphic design on the side (without any real formal training), and taught aerial classes at a local studio - aka, definitely not super related to classroom teaching. I know that I am smart and capable and I am here learning to become an instructional designer/don't have to know everything right now...time to buckle down and be confident in what I can do!

Have you ever felt imposter syndrome? Did you do anything specific to overcome it, or did you just push through and believe in yourself? 

Comments

  1. Hi Abby, I've never taught in a K-12 setting so a lot of the tools were knew to me as well! Actually, almost all of the tools we've been learning about have been new which is fun but also gives me some of those imposter syndrome feels. In my other class last week we have to turn in video presentations and while I think my skills are fairly decent with all this instructional design stuff, I couldn't help but look at my classmate's videos and feel like I have so much more to learn! I think that is okay though; we all have to start somewhere. We are all here for the formal training right? I always tell that to my new counselors who are terrified to say the wrong thing or think they are supposed to already have the answers...there would be no need for formal education and training if we were all experts! I've enjoyed following your blog and social media interactions, and have definitely been learning from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emily,
      Thank you for your words of encouragement! It is helpful to know that I'm not the only one without the K-12 experience. You made such a great point, we are here to learn and get that formal training! That is an important perspective to keep in mind throughout this journey. I am glad to be doing this with classmates that are open to sharing and discussion (of course this class facilitates that environment), I love that we are able to cheer one another on!

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to you, Abby! In my background, I mainly deal with military training so suddenly having to learn how to be an Instructional Designer, I can understand the steep learning curve you often find yourself on. My approach is to "fake it till I make it".... and also, I do search the library to find articles to read through whenever I have problems understanding a concept. This helps me to think more critically about the topic I am studying! All the best, you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miro Concept Map

Education and Policy around Digital Citizenship

Final week + life update