Rethinking multitasking

 I made a blog post a few weeks ago about multitasking and how to be more focused on one task at a time. As I was trying to decide what to blog about tonight I went to Refind to see what new articles had been curated for my interests since I haven't checked it out in a while. The first to catch my eye was called, "Should we really focus on one thing at a time?" and I decided to see what it was all about! My main takeaway was that single tasking is still the best for productivity.. MOST of the time, but in the beginning stages and in each creative stage, multitasking and open ended thinking is vital for new ideas to abound. This article also had a great tip for PLNS or self-education - "First, explore different educational channels to see which one would work best for your learning goals; then, commit to one, and stick with it for a while. Don’t fall into the trap of starting a new course every few weeks without completing any." It's a great 4 minute read and feels very connected to the work that we're doing right now! It's posted on Ness Labs, which looks like a good resource for personal productivity and being a forever learner. :)



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this article! It was very interesting. The topic of productivity and multitasking is very interesting to me because I feel we hear everywhere that multitasking is bad, but our culture still promotes multitasking, specially in coporate jobs. There are many days when I am trying to focus one thing at the time, but then I start receiving urgent requests from different people which completely distracts me from my other projects. Then, all of the sudden it is 5pm and I didn't complete anything :(
    So, I think a lot of people and companies have multitasking as part of their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes to the multitasking creativity! I think it gives me a burst of energy sometimes ... just not when I have an involved task to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so guilty of starting a new course then after two weeks getting bored and never returning to it despite all of the negative reinforcers I put in place. I can agree that I don't actually think multi-tasking is effective but I can't quite shake turning the music off while I work or study. I feel like music gets my creative juices flowing and gets me into a hyper-focused state.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miro Concept Map

Education and Policy around Digital Citizenship

Final week + life update